What is Umrah?
In Arabic language the word “Umrah” is derived from I’timar which means a visit. However in Islam it means a visit to Kaaba and performing Tawaaf around it. Being a travels and tours company, lot of people come and ask us about “how to perform Umrah”, so we decided to write something for all our users.
Umrah can be performed during any time in the year; there is no fixed time for it.
Pillar of Umrah
The pillars of Umrah are four
Difference b/w Hajj & Umrah
During Umrah pilgrim do not go to Mina, Arafaat, and Muzadalifah or throw pebbles on the Jumrahs or offer animal sacrifice. These are only performed during Hajj.
Major Steps of Umrah
To make it easy, we are going to write it in steps for you
- When the one who wants to perform Umrah arrives at the Meeqaat, it is recommended for men and women to take a bath if convenient.
- The man perfumes his head and beard but not his Ihram garments.
- Men should wear a sheet of White cloth around the waist and cover the upper body with the other sheet, while the women only need to make their intention at that time in the clothing which they are already wearing. Women, ordinary clothes are their Ahram.
- Both should wear the flip- flop(Hawaii Chapal) so that the middle bones of the upper part of the feet are not covered.
- The pilgrim makes the intention at the Meeqaat to begin the rites of Umrah by entering the state of Ihraam.
- Upon arriving at the sacred mosque in Makkah ( Al- Masjid – All Haraam) enter right foot and say Bismillaah Allahumma Salli Alla Muhammad, Allahumma Ighfirli Waflahli Abwaaba Rahmatik.
- Upon arriving at the Kaabah stop reciting the Talbiyyah, then approach the black stone, touch it with right hand and kiss it. When touch the stone say Allah u Akbar.
- At the Yammaani corner touch it with right hand but don’t kiss it and say Bismillaahi Wa Allahu Akbar. But if it is difficult then go on Tawaaf without touching it.
- During Tawaaf recite the Quran, anything you wish. After complete seven circuits of Tawaaf approach Maqaam Ibraaheem and recite this verse of Quran 2:125.
- Then pray two short Rakahs as close as conveniently possible behind Maqaam Ibrahim. It is preferred to recite Al- Kafiron(109) in first Rakah and Al – Ikhlass(112) in second Rakah.
- After two Rakah’s return to the black stone and touch it if possible.
- The next stage is to go to Safaa, upon approaching the foot of Safaa recite verse of ( Quran, 2:158). Then climb up to mount Safaa until the Kabah is visible. In front of Kabah say three times Allahu Akbar ,Allahu Akbar ,Allahu Akbar, Laa ilaaha I’ll llah llaahu Wadahu LA Shareeka lahu LahulMulku Wala hulhmdu Wa huwa alla qulli shay in Qadeer, Laa illaha illal llahu wahdahu anjaza wahdahu Wa Nasara abdahu Hazamal ahzaaba wahdahu.
- Then descend and go towards Marwah running between the bright green lights for men only. There are no particular supplications to be recited between Safaa and Marwa. Everyone must have to complete seven circuits by ending the last one at Marwah.
- Then one is to have his hair cut although shaving it is better. Women should shorten their hair by a finger tips length from the end.
The rights of Umrah have been now completed. We did our best to make it simple and as per Sunnah and hope you learnt about how to perform Umrah. May Allah accept our good deeds.